03 May 2019 to 05 May 2019
Admission: STC Members £10, non-members £20 (includes a year’s STC membership)
Being Light in the Darkness
48 hours to devise and perform a show
“With increasing tensions worldwide, it’s easy to focus on the dark stories we see in
the news. Storytelling offers a way to discover empathy and compassion and
rehearse them as a ‘light’ response to dark situations.”
Diana Carson – Walker, co-facilitator, The Finding Human Project
Join Streatham Theatre Company and The Finding Human Project in an exciting new
piece of stagecraft. In five sessions, beginning Friday evening and culminating in a
show on Sunday evening, we will work together to discover, create and perform a
story in 15 working hours over a 48 hour period.
No prior experience is necessary! Just bring curiosity and a willingness to co-create.
In this stand-alone collaboration between STC and The Finding Human Project, a new
piece of theatre will be created and performed. Practitioners Sandy Brown and Diana
Carson-Walker from The Finding Human Project will use physical connection, spatial
positioning, story structure, and devising to explore ideas, experiences, and stories
around “Being Light in the Darkness.”
Programme: Friday 3rd – Sunday 5th May 2019
• Friday evening 7 pm to 10 pm – participants will convene to explore ideas and
stories through discussion, review of various media and news venues, and personal
• Saturday 10 am to 5 pm (including lunch break) – ideas that emerge in this first
evening will carry forward to Saturday’s workshop, and be explored through
physical and spatial discovery processes.
• Sunday 10 am – 5pm (including lunch break) – participants will discover characters,
move them through spatial patterns, work with verbatim interview techniques,
and devise a short scripted/improvised show.
• Sunday evening 7 pm – the process culminates in a scratch performance on Sunday
evening before a small, invited audience in the cosy, informal atmosphere of
Vinter’s Studio. Audience tickets £5 on the door only.
• Only 15 places available (booked and paid in advance).
• Participants must be available to attend all 5 sessions and the performance.
• We need 10 or more participants to run the event. If insufficient places are
booked we reserve the right to cancel.
More about The Finding Human Project:
www.findinghumanproject.com | Facebook @TheFindingHumanProject